Friday 12 February 2016

On the way to Santiago

My walk continues to influence me in subtle ways; the clearing of 'stuff' benefits the local hospice shop and helps me clear the space in my head. I had intended to write more posts but see that my last post was in November. Catching up on life took time after 6 weeks away and I had to prepare for Christmas events. I had a stand for 2 sucessful weekends at Blackthorpe Barns and held my own open studio event for 2 more weekends. It was lovely meeting previous visitors again and welcoming new people. Then Christmas arrived and we had a lovely day here, setting up the table in my studio which was fun. Our first family Christmas here for quite a while, perfect.
Back to the walk, a few photographs from the first few days.
This is the beautiful old bridge at Zubiri, reached after a long, very hot 22kms. The next day was my birthday and it was an amazing day.
I had birthday greeting sung in 3 different languages, happy birthday said in several languages including
Swedish and Arabic. Birthday lunch was a delicious spinach tortilla at a riverside cafe.
At this wonderful peaceful church you could climb into the belfry and ring the bell once to send your prayers across the valley.
That night was spent at a peaceful hostel at Arre, an old convent.
A delicious meal to end a memorable day, here with Rose from Holland, Felicitas and Pia from Germany.
Next was Pamplona, which was too busy for me, I wanted peace and quiet! Although I loved these marble dogs in the Cathedral.
There were some amazing sculptures along the way.
After a good sleep in Zariquiegui we left in the dark before sunrise to get up to Alto del Perdon where there are wonderful iron sculptures of pilgrims, as well as lots of wind turbines.
I loved St. Pedro church in Estella where I received a gift of a small yellow arrow brooch from a kind man I talked to for some time. I lost socks and 2 hats along the way that became my 'Camino gifts' to the pilgrims that found them . I was humbled by the kindness of so many people I met, both pilgrims and locals.
A few days later we stayed at another of my favourite hostels at Granon. It was an old monastery with a church. We went to Mass and then there was a meditation time by candlelight, Very moving. We helped prepare and shared a communal meal and slept in a big loft space on gym mats.
How simple and good life can be.
Part 3 of the walk will come, but now back to real life! I've enjoyed working on some new lino cuts, here's a couple of them.
I'm loving learning the basics of pottery with a potter friend Sally, she's a great teacher. I love the feel of clay and the processes involved; so much to take in!!
My first pieces, the bird waiting to be decorated.
The start of slab building my hare! With the addition of a thumb pot which became the head and the ears, it did emerge as a hare! Here he is getting to know my finished bird.
I'm having a lot of fun.

8 comments:

  1. Great to see more pictures of your pilgrimage Anna. I love those rusty pilgrims, all looking forward to their goal while the wind turbines in the background provide an interesting contrast. The old pilgrims would have seen windmills instead - time ever moving.
    Your hare and bird are delightful and it's good to see some fresh lino cuts as well, welcome back to blogland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kat, I've enjoyed writing a post again; good to know someone is reading it!!

      Delete
  2. Lovely to see more of your walk on here. You are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina is so right Anna. You are an inspiration to us all of what can be done when you set your mind to it. Loving the linocuts and the pottery, especially that gorgeous bird. I see you are teaching at the Oxford Summer School this year. I am attending a class but think it ends before yours gets going, otherwise I'd have searched you out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely to see your photos of that amazing pilgrimage. I am sure that your journey will continue to inspire you. Your work in ceramics is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie for your kind comments, I know the journey will influence me for years to come.

      Delete
  5. Hello Anna, I am writing to you with the request to send me a few photos of the Camino de Santiago. Unfortunately, I only have a few photos of the Camino de Santiago where I can be seen myself. I would be very grateful if you could send them by email. I hope you are fine ... in corona times. I think of you often and it's a real shame that we didn't part on good terms. Thanks in advance. Kind regards Pia Riedel from Uelzen Germany piariedel@t-online.de

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for leaving a comment, I enjoy reading them. You don't need to have a blog to leave a comment, you can select the name/URL option and fill in just your name instead of a blog link.