Saturday 2 August 2014

Great news

My son had a brain scan a couple of weeks ago and this week we had a consultation with his oncologist. Waiting has been difficult but it was brilliant news, all clear with no sign of regrowth of the tumour; so the radiotherapy did it's job, hooray!
The next scan is in February, so he can get on with his life and I can get on with mine! He has recently self published his book 'Blessed with a brain tumour' and will go to Oz and then USA to promote the book.
His positive attitude throughout has been inspiring. He will be holding meetings, talking at conferences, life coaching and continuing to write, which he has always wanted to do. A complete change from his work fund raising for charities. All very exciting.
My Cambridge open studio went very well. This year I opened for 4 weekends and I had a lot of lovely visitors with good sales. 
The only photo I managed to take, my sister!
Another good happening was in the post, the RSPB are using my hare design as a Chr...... card (far too early to use that word). 
 
They are calling it Leaping Hare. They pay me for the licence to use the image. Another charity are also using one of my designs but I haven't seen the finished card yet.
I've only 2 of my Hare at Burrough prints left, it was a variable edition of 35, using different colours for the fields and sky. Sometime ago I handcoloured a woodpecker print and thought I'd do the same with a black and white version of the hare. It was fun getting my water colour paints out. This will be sold as a one-off unique print. 
I really enjoyed a recent 2 day stay in York with 4 college friends, we met at Wall Hall College of Education inSeptember 1966 and in recent times meet up every year. It was my first visit to York, what a lovely place. 
 
Here are Mary, Carol, Miz and Barbara exploring the Shambles area.
We had a fabulous tea in the Earl Grey Tea shop as well as going on a river trip, exploring the Minster of course and the Museum. 
I couldn't resist this roundabout! 
I was lucky to have 2 helpers in the garden the other day, both growing fast, Barney is now 4 and William is 17 months; both great characters. 

15 comments:

  1. Brilliant news all round Anna. Really happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pleased your son's scan came back ok and he can now get on with his life (and so can you). An awful time, but you are obviously both strong and coped - and can now look forward. Glad your Open Studios went well - doing all four weeks must have been exhausting. Nina and I had a really great first open studios event, only open two weekends, but that was enough. Lots of lovely people through the door and both did very well. Definitely doing it next year. Are you doing Cambridge Original Printmakers at the Pitt Building in September? I know a few people who are and definitely going along to have a look, as having 40 printmakers under one roof would be fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn, yes to COP, looking forward to it. Glad COS was good, we must catch up sometime. Off to France for a week of R and R!

      Delete
  3. You have been busy!
    great news too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rhiannon, glad to give Addenbrookes a miss for a few months!

      Delete
  4. Well, great news indeed! I've enjoyed catching up here & it's wonderful to have your hare chosen as a special card, too! Lovely work from your students, the smiles on their faces says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a relief for both you and your son... I can feel the change of mood singing through this blog post!
    Great news about the card too and I'm really pleased Open Studios was a success - I know how much work 4 weekends would have been.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna, Poor internet coverage means I am late to the party, catching up with your wonderful news. He sounds an inspirational young man that son of yours. Good luck to him for the future. Lots of other great news too. Thanks for not mentioning the C... word in August but it's good to know the RSPB are using your cards again this year. I shall put them on my list to buy for later.It looks a winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you've joined the party!! Thank you Lesley, off to France for a week today, yippee!

      Delete
  7. Such good news for you and your son! And congratulations on the success of your open studio and such good news about your cards, it's a surprise though your work is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just caught up with your wonderful news Anna, after being in an internet free zone for a while. I'm so pleased for you and your son, you must have felt like floating when the good news came. Lovely to be reminded of York as well, my daughter was at University there, she left in 2012 and I miss my trips there and back to see her.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for leaving a comment, I enjoy reading them. You don't need to have a blog to leave a comment, you can select the name/URL option and fill in just your name instead of a blog link.